Saturday, March 1, 2008

Airport Attire


Ok, so i haven't blogged in two months--well, I was on vacation. And what a great vacation it was!

Here's my main concern: after spending a lot of time in airports the past two months, my concern is WHY DO PEOPLE WHO ARE FLYING DRESS AS IF THEY'RE IN THEIR OWN BEDROOM?????

I mean I saw some really disgusting clothes on these planes! People are wearing their pajama pants! Grey sweats from Wal-Mart! They're carrying pillows! I hardly have room to put my own butt in those tiny little seats, why would anyone want a big ol' dirty-looking pillow in there with them? I saw a grown woman in denim overalls. I mean, omg, overalls on someone my age are ridiculous unless you happen to be cleaning out a barn. But think about this: how did she expect to negotiate an airplane toilet in overalls? That may have occurred to her later.

And don't even get me started on Crocs. Ubiquitous. Ridiculous. Unless you're under 5 years old.

Why do women wear boots to go through an airport? They may look good but when it comes to security lines, you're slowing everyone down, Honey. Next time try the slip-ons. And heels? Much as I love them, they make no sense for all the hiking one has to do down the airport concourse.

I stood around the Kahului airport waiting for some style to show up (it took several trips) & I've gotta say, I finally did find one great-looking woman, she was from Bellevue, she'd just arrived, and she was wearing this cute lime-green tunic with black leggings. Doesn't she look fabulous?
And it all makes sense: it's comfortable, it looks good with flats, it didn't arrive all wrinkled, and--this is important--when you get to a warm climate, you take off the leggings and voila'--you've got your sundress on. She told me it was from Victoria's Secret. Who knew?
Anyway, as far as traveling clothes go I can certainly understand everyone's desire to be comfortable. Especially on long flights, it makes sense to wear something in which you can really relax. But there are some compromises to be made here. No one needs to wear sweats or pajama pants. Here are some of my airplane rules:
1. Wear something that doesn't wrinkle. If that means you have to go to Chico's, do it. Something knit is good.
2. Wear slip-on flat shoes that can get you through security quickly and that you can walk (or run) for miles in without crying or bleeding, you big baby.
3. Wear dark colors; traveling makes you dirty.
4. Often a skirt makes more sense than jeans; it's comfortable and still looks decent.
5. If you're going somewhere warm, start out with a skirt, tights, a tank top, and a sweater. That way when you get there, you can take off the tights & the sweater and you're ready to go.
6. Layer things so that if the plane is too cold or too hot you can add or subtract.
7. Try to find two really great-looking, coordinated leather bags for carry-on so you're not schlepping Safeway shopping bags and Eddie Bauer backpacks.
8. Remember you're allowed a carry-on and a "handbag or purse". That "handbag" can be an extra-large Jessica-Simpson size hobo if you really have a lot of stuff to carry.
9. If you're going to wear sweats, make it a nice matching track suit in a dark color.
10. I always pack extra sox for when my feet get cold!
11. Pack a change of clothes in your carry-on. Not only for when your checked luggage doesn't arrive, but you'll have something to change into when the kid next to you barfs in your lap or the turbulance causes your gin tonic to erupt all over your sweater.


2 comments:

Melissa Christianson said...

Let me just say - I agree! The Bellevue outfit is fab, the number of scummy looking people in airports is unbelievable & I've been the mom who's been barfed on and needed the extra clothes in my carry on.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for nice words. When I read the opening to the paragraph, I was concerned that I was the fashion victim you spoke of (after all - it WAS a comfy outfit). But you're dead on about the leggings. Seattle - cold. Maui - warm. Peel off those leggings and VOILA - bring on the Mai Tais!! By the way - I had to send that dress back to Victoria's Secret. The embroidery started unravelling on my third wear. They have not sent a replacement. :(